Friday, August 13, 2010

Classic Arcade Games Venture

I remember this game well, as we had it for Colecovision. I also remember the arcade version, but didn't play it as it wasn't seen much in the arcades. Vaguely, I saw the game in the back row of arcade games at the old indoor flea market in Smithtown ny. The only problem with this machines was that the joystick controller couldn't go right. Then there was the arcade in one of the ferry boats in Port Jefferson Village, as afterwards it was placed into a nearby restaurant next to the ferry dock.
Overall, I must say that the home version for Colecovision was very easy for me to beat the game, as it was repetitive. But the arcade version was more challenging. One time, I did encounter the game again in a stationary store in Centereach N.Y. It was the simplicity of the game's concept that made it fun and memorable, but those deadly hallmonsters still haunt my memory to this day. If you spent more than 10 seconds in a room, a large hallmonster will materialzie and enter and make a strait beedive for you, and he was indestructable. I do miss playing this game, however I did have one other opportunity to play this game, but I had mixed feelings afterwards. Basically, it was from a multi-game cabinet called Gammer-Tek 2K that I saw in a basement video arcade called fun city. Although I was amazed at the ability to play it, the downside is that the game was emulated with Mame. I just found out in 2006 I think that a software company called "Mean Hamster" had purchased the legal rights to all the games made by Exidy. So since Venture was made by Exidy, I will soon be able to play this game again.
Other times I found re-makes of this game, like Venture 2 from My Yosemetie Sam.com. It's a graphic update to the game with more levels, rooms, and monsters to defeat. The plus side is that when the large hallmonster enters the room, you can shoot him down within a few arrow shots. But he reenters seconds later and many large hallmosters come at your really fast. You can still shoot him, but good luck in surviving. It was memorable, but just a stupid knockoff as I heard the Colecovision music of the get ready player one screen. And a really stupid retro remake I found once was called Venture into adventure. this is dumb and stupid version of the game. I'll just wait for the game to be released by Mean Hamster Software.

No comments:

Post a Comment